[coreboot] Lenovo X200 running Coreboot drains 3-4W more power than with Vendor BIOS

Daniel Kulesz daniel.ina1 at googlemail.com
Sun May 8 02:29:50 CEST 2016

On Sat, 7 May 2016 15:53:47 +0200
Zoran Stojsavljevic <zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com> wrote:

> > @Zoran: I also have an X220 (2nd gen Core I5) on which I did not
> undertake any Coreboot experiments yet. But I
> > suppose you are rather asking for much newer CPUs from the 6th and 7th
> generation?
> >
> > Cheers, Daniel
>
> Hello Daniel,
>
> Second generation CORE is SNB. CPUID something like 0x20xyz. CORE 2nd gen.
> was released Y2011.
> Third generation CORE is IVB. CPUID something like 0x30xyz. Core 3rd gen.
> was released Y2012.
>
> What I am talking/pointing ot about is the following:
> *Fourth generation CORE is HSW. CPUID something like 0x40651 (i5 4300U) -
> HP 840 G1 - one of my laptops. Released Y2013.*
> *Sixth generation CORE is SKL. CPUID something like 0x606E3 (i5 6200U) - HP
> 450 G3 - another of my laptops. Released Y2015.*
>
> 4th (HSW-U) and 6th (SKL-U) generations of CPUs in laptops: these are ones
> I am talking about/pointing to (don't think CORE 5th gen. is important).
>
> Sorry I am late with Re:.

Hi Zoran,

You are welcome! But I don't have any of these newer laptops and afaik Coreboot does not support many of them, either. Especially the newer Thinkpads (T/X240+) are not supported. But sure, if anybody has one of these machines doing similar experiments would really make sense. I still wonder why I didn't read or hear about any complaints about running Libreboot/Coreboot on a X200 since the difference of the missing C4 mode (by default at least) is so striking.

Cheers, Daniel