[coreboot] Microcode problem with Braswell CPU

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Mon May 2 09:30:04 CEST 2016

Hello Alex,

Glad if you solved at least initial problem. Glad if I helped at least a
pinch. :-)

Now... As much as I know, FSP is initial part of the BIOS itself, or BIOS
elements. Namely, SEC and PEI phases. My best guess is that* INTEL retained
POST codes to be the same as while in (UEFI) BIOS*. UEFI in parenthesis,
since these two phases are common/default ones, they belong to legacy as
well as to UEFI BIOSes. DXE is the phase legacy and UEFI start to diverge
(my best guess).

York can help you more with the POST codes, York should know (much) more
than me, considering FSP. Yang, could you, please, come with the FSP POST
code table, it will be very beneficial to this community?

Now, assuming that my initial cludge (in *RED*) is correct, you can find
the meanings of POST 0x52:
http://www.congatec.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/Others/AMI_Aptio_4.x_Status_Codes_PUB_01.pdf

PEI Error Codes:
0x50 Memory initialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible
memory speed.
0x51 Memory initialization error. SPD reading has failed.
*0x52 Memory initialization error. Invalid memory size or memory modules do
not match.*
0x53 Memory initialization error. No usable memory detected.
0x54 Unspecified memory initialization error.
0x55 Memory not installed.
0x56 Invalid CPU type or Speed.

*Error Code*

*Port 0x80 Code*

*Description*

PEI_MEMORY_INVALID_TYPE

0x50

Memory Type Invalid

PEI_MEMORY_INVALID_SPEED

0x50

Memory Speed Invalid

PEI_MEMORY_SPD_FAIL

0x51

Memory SPD failure

*PEI_MEMORY_INVALID_SIZE*

*0x52*

*Memory Size Invalid*

*PEI_MEMORY_MISMATCH*

*0x52*

*Memory Mismatch*

PEI_MEMORY_NOT_DETECTED

0x53

Memory not detected

PEI_MEMORY_NONE_USEFUL

0x53

None of the Memory installed valid

PEI_MEMORY_ERROR

0x54

Memory Error

PEI_MEMORY_NOT_INSTALLED

0x55

Memory not installed

PEI_CPU_INVALID_TYPE

0x56

CPU type invalid

What I am reading from POST error codes is that you did not define your
DRAM memory size (probably in Coreboot .config file) correctly.

(and, yes, I am also learning from this conversation ;-) )

Zoran
_______