[coreboot] Logs storage? Was: Target candidate: Dell Latitude E4300

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Wed Mar 23 21:25:51 CET 2016

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 15:27:56 -0600
Martin Roth <gaumless at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that having OEM BIOS logs from supported boards does make a
> lot of sense, but when I talked to Stefan about it before, he didn't
> want to add unsupported boards.  His thinking was that we didn't want
> to be the world's largest lspci database
Right, I didn't think about this issue.

Given the amount of effort needed to port coreboot to new chipsets,
how big would such database be, if we limit it to chipsets we support.
For instance northbridges and southbridges (if it applies).

We could also want to only whitelist specific chipset combinations
beforehand.

Example1: We might want some information on Lenovo Thinkpad laptops with
supported northbridge and southbridge.

Example2: Someone is looking for hardware with specific requirements to
do a port.

In both examples, the submission script will whitelist that combination.

Denis.