[coreboot] [GSoC 2016] ROM-O-Matic project

Yurii Shevtsov ungetch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 23:17:16 CET 2016

Thanks for your reply, it clarifies the main idea for me.

> Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you on this.
>
> The build needs to happen with the correct toolchain to generate a rom
> that is similar (or identical) to the original rom that was tested in the
> board status.  That would be done with with 'make crossgcc'.  If I try to
> build a rom that was submitted 8 months ago, I'd want to use the toolchain
> that was in use 8 months ago, not today's toolchain.

So I need to came up with some mechanism to store multiple toolchain
version.

> Boards that are in the board status repo:
> https://review.coreboot.org/gitweb/cgit/board-status.git/tree/amd
> These are boards that have been tested.  These submissions are known to at
> least boot (with the configuration that was used to test the rom).
>
> Any valid board:
> https://review.coreboot.org/gitweb/cgit/coreboot.git/tree/src/mainboard/amd
> The source code for these boards is in the codebase, but we have no way of
> knowing whether it's currently booting or not until we actually test it.

Did I understand correctly, that there is no possibility to automatically
test all these boards, because they require specific hardware, which can't
be emulated? So, if user wants to build and flash one, he takes all
responsibility?

> As the project proposal says, first we want to just build roms that are
> already present in the board status database.  We have a config already
> present for these, so we don't need to ask any configuration options at
> all, just give them a list of boards that they can build a rom for.  We
> also don't need to give users every option available in Kconfig.  Maybe we
> give them an edit window that they can paste a config into or edit an
> existing config.
>

> The preference would be to do everything on the server or in the browser
> though.  We would really prefer not to have any scripts that need to be run
> on the user's system.

I strongly agree about this.