[coreboot] [GSOC 2016] Coreboot panic room

Antonello Dettori dev at dettori.io
Thu Mar 10 23:34:45 CET 2016

Hello everyone,
I am currently a computing student at the University of Abertay in
Scotland and I would like to take part in this year GSOC.

The proposal that I want to submit concerns the coreboot panic room idea
since it looks like something that could really benefit the project as a
whole and also because it seems like a really interesting technical
challenge.

I already digged through the blog and the mail exchanges of the previous
developer working on this, Tadas Slotkus, and took a look at the patches
that he wrote so I already have a general understanding of their aim.

I would like to concentrate most of my efforts towards improving and
upstreaming the previous efforts, implementing a way to easily access
the recovery mode when needed and further the integration between
coreboot, serialICE and flashrom for this use-case.

Regarding the existing patches I would like to know if they would need
to stay romc-compatible or should the scope be limited to CAR boards?

Any suggestions on how to tackle this project or GSOC in general?

Thanks in advance.