[coreboot] GSoC proposal

Haran Sivaram haran090 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 09:33:39 CET 2016

Hello CoreBoot,
Loved reading about what you do and hoping I'd get a chance to help with it.

I'd started programming pretty late in highschool, around the time I was
15-16 years old. Once I got into college 2 years later was when I really
started getting into programming.
In college I first got into a robotics automation and building team that
participates in RoboCon in every year. I was primarily working with
interfacing components like sensors, encoders, communication modules to
arduino and avr boards. Majority of my knowledge with hardware and firmware
stems from here.
Later on I moved into android app development and have done multiple
projects ranging from freelance, my own projects and interning with app
based startups.
My contribution to open source code is something I'm quite ashamed of.
Though I feel like I have worked on projects(apps) which would do really
well on the OS platforms, I cannot put the code up as the organisations I
built these apps for are trying to start a business with it. My own
projects comprise of libraries put together to make life a little easier
for users, so not really worth open source mention.
The idea I would like to propose to you isn't something that would fall
completely into your field of work, but a company like this could really
help build the technology needed. As an overview it's a way for an
individual to talk to his/her car, preferably using a smart phone or a dash
board interface, to not only read car info but also to remap the ECU of the
car and to control a variety of the electronic components in the vehicle. I
had worked individually using an arduino board plugged into a 9pin car On
Board Diagnostics (OBD) port. Using a Bluetooth module I relayed
information from my ardunio board to my Android device, but my more
ambitious plans required better technology and more insight into the
operating system of the car.

I hope that gives you brief idea about me and what I want to do, waiting to
hear from you.

--

Regards

Haran Sivaram