[coreboot] [SeaBIOS] UEFI project ideas

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Tue Jun 7 18:47:02 CEST 2016

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 10:05:31PM +0200, Rudolf Marek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that seabios/libpayload could have interresting use cases and I want
> to share/discuss them.
>
> 1) Have a SeaBIOS be a UEFI application. This would benefit on UEFI platforms
> without CSM.

That would be difficult as SeaBIOS really wants to live at 0xf0000.
Outside of CSM I don't think that's possible on UEFI.

> 2) Provide a minimum UEFI environment. As I noticed u-boot started to have such
> support. In fact it has UEFI glue to u-boot drivers. As such it provides a
> minimal boot services + minimum runtime services. In seabios, it is almost
> there, only PE loader and filesystem support is missing.

Are you suggesting that SeaBIOS be able to load and run UEFI operating
systems without tianocore (or similar)?  (That is, implement a minimal
uefi spec natively within SeaBIOS?)  I looked at that briefly a few
years back, but the uefi spec is crazy complex.  It may be feasible if
someone (eg, uboot) has been able to identify a minimal implementation
that works in practice with modern real world OSes.

-Kevin