[coreboot] [SeaBIOS] UEFI project ideas

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue Jun 7 14:02:10 CEST 2016

On Mo, 2016-06-06 at 22:05 +0200, Rudolf Marek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that seabios/libpayload could have interresting use cases and I want
> to share/discuss them.
>
> 1) Have a SeaBIOS be a UEFI application. This would benefit on UEFI platforms
> without CSM.

I doubt this is going to fly.  seabios has to do quite some low-level
stuff (like running code in real mode), I don't think UEFI applications
can do that.  There is a reason why CSM was designed in the first place.

Note that you can build seabios as CSM for tianocore already.

> 2) Provide a minimum UEFI environment. As I noticed u-boot started to have such
> support. In fact it has UEFI glue to u-boot drivers.  As such it provides a
> minimal boot services + minimum runtime services. In seabios, it is almost
> there, only PE loader and filesystem support is missing.

What is the point?
You can just run tianocore as coreboot playload.

Drivers are not an issue, unlike arm x86 has standardized hardware,
tianocore can handle things just fine.

cheers,
  Gerd