[coreboot] UEFI project ideas

Rudolf Marek r.marek at assembler.cz
Mon Jun 6 22:05:31 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I noticed that seabios/libpayload could have interresting use cases and I want
to share/discuss them.

1) Have a SeaBIOS be a UEFI application. This would benefit on UEFI platforms
without CSM.

2) Provide a minimum UEFI environment. As I noticed u-boot started to have such
support. In fact it has UEFI glue to u-boot drivers. As such it provides a
minimal boot services + minimum runtime services. In seabios, it is almost
there, only PE loader and filesystem support is missing.

The 2) could be perhaps be some independent project utilizing the coreboot
libpayload library.

Maybe those can be done in next year GSoC.

I guess 2) could be useful to boot future OSes without legacy support.

Thanks
Rudolf