[coreboot] coreboot on the open source Berkeley RISC V processor - available ?

punit vara punitvara at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 09:48:36 CEST 2016

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 4:02 AM, Jonathan Neuschäfer
<j.neuschaefer at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello Punit and Paul,
>
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 09:02:24PM +0200, Paul Menzel via coreboot wrote:
>> Dear Punit,
>>

>> Am Samstag, den 30.07.2016, 15:35 +0530 schrieb punit vara:
>>
>> > I am new to coreboot
>>
>> Welcome to coreboot.
>>
>> > and would like to contribute to "coreboot on the open source Berkeley
>> > RISC V processor". Is it available to work ? I am current GSOC
>> > student under RTEMS org developing BSP for beagle bone black for
>> > RTEMS RTOS. If I can work on this project Please what are
>> > the things I need to set up to work on?
>>
>> Sure. As coreboot is free software you of course can work on it. There
>> are already people working on it. Mainly Jonathan Neuschäfer as you can
>> see from the blog posts about his GSoC progress [1] and his change sets
>> [2] (`git log --author=Neusch`).
>>
>> So I suggest, to get familiar with that work, build the current state
>> and get it running with QEMU. Then just dive in the things you are
>> interested in.
>
> QEMU doesn't really work anymore with current versions of the RISC-V
> tools, and probably won't until it is updated to version 1.9 of the
> RISC-V Privileged Architecture Specification[1]. There are some
> instructions on how to run coreboot on RISC-V available in the coreboot
> wiki[2]. Spike has better support in coreboot, but it still doesn't work
> well enough to boot Linux (something's wrong with the page tables and
> Spike doesn't implement any block devices AFAICS).
>

> Regards,
> Jonathan Neuschäfer
> [1]: https://riscv.org/specifications/privileged-isa/
> [2]: https://www.coreboot.org/Board:emulation/spike-riscv
Hi Joonathan,

Thank you for the information. I don't have RISC-V hardware available
right now. As you told QEMU won't work , it seems I may not able to do
any development[ right ?]. BTW I have Beagle Bone Black I can port
coreboot on that one if it's not available.  I was lurking on IRC and
came to know that there are few patches on Beagle bone available. I
have checked it out beagle bone has support for coreboot but not sure
about beagle bone black. I will try it on BBB and let you know about
that :)

Thanks,
Punit Vara