[coreboot] initrd in 4.4 versus head

Trammell Hudson hudson at trmm.net
Fri Jul 29 15:20:29 CEST 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:04:56PM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Trammell Hudson <hudson at trmm.net> [160727 13:58]:
> > It looks like 4.4 is adding the initrd as a separate section
> > named "(empty)" with type "null" and the kernel can't find it:
>
> (empty) is indeed what it claims to be, empty space in the image.
> There is no initrd in there.

Ah, yes.  I see that the (empty) space is the amount remaining
from the end of the payload to the bootblock at the top of the ROM
image.

So that then leads to the question, where is the initrd image
when I build with coreboot-4.4 with the same .config file?

Building with head runs:

build/util/cbfstool/cbfstool build/coreboot.pre.tmp add-payload -f bzImage -n fallback/payload -t payload -c none  -r COREBOOT    -I "initrd.img"

While 4.4 executes:

build/util/cbfstool/cbfstool build/coreboot.pre.tmp add-payload -f ./bzImage -n fallback/payload -t payload -c none  -r COREBOOT

Looks like the fix happened when the definition of
$(CONFIG_CBFS_PREFIX)/payload-options was moved from ./Makefile.inc
to ./payloads/external/Makefile.inc.  In 4.4 the definition happens before
ADDITIONAL_PAYLOAD_CONFIG is defined, so it will always be empty
and initrd is ignored.

--
Trammell