[coreboot] Cable issue? Flashrom doesn't detect F2A-85M's flash chip (25Q64F)

Daniel Kulesz daniel.ina1 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 27 10:11:00 CEST 2016

Hi folks,

for backup purposes, I am trying to do some flashing of the BIOS chip from my Asus F2A-85M (Winbond 25Q64F) by connecting it to a RPi2. In the past, I used the RPi2 setup successfully to flash the Macronix chip in the X200 using a 3M test clip and 15cm jumper cables, but I don't have a clip for Winbond chip on the F2A-85M so I am using the connectors which came bundled with a Buspirate (making the wires a little longer in total).

Unfortunately, Flashrom does not detect the chip even when supplying the -c parameter. Here are some pictures of my setup:

https://abload.de/img/dscn6511d8jh4.jpg
https://abload.de/img/dscn6515vekdc.jpg
https://abload.de/img/dscn6516n7j3f.jpg

I tried several times, checked the pinout and tried attaching the connectors to different areas of the flash chip's heads. Is there anything I am doing obviously wrong?

Cheers, Daniel