[coreboot] ARM Trusted Firmware build issue

Julius Werner jwerner at chromium.org
Thu Jul 21 01:19:20 CEST 2016

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Stefan Reinauer
<stefan.reinauer at coreboot.org> wrote:
> * Martin Roth <gaumless at gmail.com> [160713 16:57]:
>> We can't roll the entire toolchain back to binutils 2.25 because of
>> the RISC-V work.  Is it reasonable to roll back to binutils 2.25 for
>> just the ARM toolchain builds?
>
> No, that is not feasible. The cross toolchain builder has seen a fair
> amount of bloat already in the last couple of months. Let's fix this in
> ARM TF.

Well... honestly, isn't it our fault for uprevving to a buggy
toolchain? If there was a way to write this code such that it will
result in the binary output ARM wants and works on all versions,
submitting a patch to them would be reasonable... but otherwise I can
kinda understand that they don't want to use an inferior solution
because we insist on using an assembler that doesn't know how to
assemble stuff correctly. Isn't the best solution to only uprev archs
that really need new compiler features until the GCC guys manage to
produce a stable version?