[coreboot] Linux kernel as payload?

Kitestramuort kitestramuort at autistici.org
Sun Jan 17 16:23:09 CET 2016

Hello,
I am preparing to flash coreboot on a Thinkpad X230. Currently I use
UEFI and systemd to boot Linux as the only operating system and I wish
to change my configuration as little as possible. The most natural
option for me would be to use TianoCore as payload, however Tiano seems
to be still unstable and is not particularly well documented.

As an alternative I was considering using the kernel itself as payload.
But what happens when I need to update the kernel? Will I need to
hardware reflash coreboot with the new kernel? I wouldn't mind
recompiling coreboot with a different kernel and software flashing, but
I'd like to avoid having to dismantle the laptop every time I update
the kernel. Can anybody clarify this for me please?

best regards