[coreboot] coreboot with GRUB2 for ARM Chromebook (veyron_jaq)

Martin Wohlert martin at b-root-force.de
Mon Dec 19 09:19:11 CET 2016

Hello everybody!

I have a Chromebook (Medion Akoya S2013) which is the german version of
the Haier Chromebook 11 (veyron_jaq).

And I fail to build the coreboot.

Here what I've done so far (which you can reproduce yourself):

1. like told me on https://www.coreboot.org/Build_HOWTO
$ git clone http://review.coreboot.org/p/coreboot
$ cd coreboot
$ git submodule update --init --checkout

2. $ make menuconfig
There I only changed "Mainboard" > "Mainboard vendor" & "Mainboard
model" to Google / Haier Chromebook 11 (veyron_jaq). The ROM size of 4
MB is also correct. I read the flash chip and got a 4 MB image.

3. Still in menuconfig I selected GRUB2 in "Payload" > "Add a Payload".

4. $ make crosstools-arm
succeeded without errors

5. $ make
Fails with error:

    HOSTCC     cbfstool/xxhash.o
    HOSTCC     cbfstool/linux_trampoline.o
    HOSTCC     cbfstool/cbfs-payload-linux.o
    HOSTCC     cbfstool/cbfstool (link)
Performing operation on 'COREBOOT' region...
Created CBFS (capacity = 4062936 bytes)
Performing operation on 'BOOTBLOCK' region...
W: Written area will abut bottom of target region: any unused space will
keep its current contents
Performing operation on 'COREBOOT' region...
Performing operation on 'COREBOOT' region...
    CBFS       fallback/romstage
Performing operation on 'COREBOOT' region...
    CBFS       fallback/ramstage
Performing operation on 'COREBOOT' region...
    CBFS       config
Performing operation on 'COREBOOT' region...
    CBFS       revision
Performing operation on 'COREBOOT' region...
    CBFS       fallback/payload
Performing operation on 'COREBOOT' region...
Performing operation on 'COREBOOT' region...
ERROR: Ramstage region _ramstage overlapped by: fallback/payload
make: *** [Makefile.inc:992: check-ramstage-overlaps] Error 1

See full log here: https://files.b-root-force.de/coreboot.txt

What I find a bit suspicious is the output:
GRUB2 will be compiled with following components:
Platform: i386-coreboot
Cause I am building for ARM.

So, does anyone have an idea what I can try next?

Kind regards
Martin