[coreboot] latest greatest thinkpad with coreboot

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Fri Dec 2 23:40:41 CET 2016

On 02.12.2016 10:18, kitestramuort wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-12-01 at 23:53 +0100, Klemens Nanni wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 11:35:36AM -0700, Trammell Hudson wrote:
>>> The major drawback is the low res screen.  I've been considering
>>> trying
>>> these hacked x230 machines with 2560x1440 screens for 2559Y (about
>>> $400?):
>>>
>>> https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=43820633263&toSite=main
>>> http://forum.51nb.com/thread-1662397-1-1.html
>>
>> Interesting, I wonder how well these replacement screens would work
>> with
>> coreboot? I assume the proprietary VGA Option ROM won't work with
>> those
>> and native graphics initialisation still needs some work on the X230
>> either ways.
>

> I have one of those. The dock DP lane is "hijacked" to fit the FHD eDP
> screen. In the BIOS (and in Windows) the signal is duplicated between
> the non-existent LVDS and DP, consuming more power. However it works
> very well in Linux with a small patch to the i915 module that disables
> the LVDS lane and forces DP-3 to be detected as eDP.
>
> I tried doing the same in coreboot, playing with the source code, but
> couldn't figure out how to. It would be great to have the setup working
> "natively"

There's C code only for LVDS (nb/intel/sandybridge) and eDP (mb/google
/link). No support for the PCH's DPs.

There's Ada code now, that supports quite a lot (3rdparty/libgfxinit).
It would require a small patch to make the panel power sequencing work
along with the DP. I can help you with that if you want to try.

Nico