[coreboot] [RFC] Explicitly use C11/GNU11

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 2 00:25:10 CET 2016

Dear Julius,

Am Mittwoch, den 30.11.2016, 20:10 -0800 schrieb Julius Werner:
> > Thank you for the elaborate explanation. I never intended to take on
> > that task, but if I had, you would have convinced me.
> >
> > I hope using GNU11 suits everyone.
>
> Yes, just to be clear (this has split into so many different threads
> that I'm no longer sure what the latest decision is?), I only
> (prematurely) objected to forbidding GNU extensions. Otherwise, I'm
> totally in favor of switching to C11 and not aware of any difference
> between the versions that would cause a problem for us.

As written, my current understanding is, that when switching the
coreboot toolchain from 4.9(?) to 5.3(?), the coreboot project switched
from GNU89 to GNU11.

My current proposal [1] is to explicitly set that, so that people can
still use GCC 4.9 – Debian 8.5 (Jessie/stable) ships GCC 4.9.2.

Reviews are welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] https://review.coreboot.org/17636