[coreboot] Motivating AMD to libreboot and RYF Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GNU Libreboot, version 20160818 released

Logan Streondj streondj at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 04:51:55 CEST 2016

Leah, thanks for the great news!
GNU Libreboot team, good work! :-D

I saw a few AMD motherboards on the list.
So it really got me motivated and
I opened a discussion on AMD developers forum entitled:
When will XDMA compatible motherboards support Libreboot and-or RYF?

For clarification XDMA are motherboards which have multiple PCIe3
slots, and allow for multiple GPU's to run in parallel together.

It allows for vast amount of cheap processing power to be used.
Remember that a GPU FLOP is 100 times cheaper than a CPU FLOP.
1 GPU GFLOP ~= $0.05, 1 CPU GFLOP ~= $5.

I'm hoping that you could comment in support of either AMD helping to
make Libreboot RYF compatible software stacks, or XDMA in particular.

Feel free to note the Libreboot versions of AMD hardware that are
available, as well as what would be required to make them top notch.
As well as anything that might be necessary to make AMD RYF compliant.

here is the forum thread:
https://community.amd.com/thread/204611

Thanks!
Logan

On 08/18/16 18:59, Leah Rowe wrote:
> GNU Libreboot 20160818
>
> This is a brand GNU release. Libreboot joined the GNU project on
> 14 May 2016. This 18 August 2016 release is the first GNU release
> of libreboot.
>
> Get it from https://libreboot.org/download/
>
> NEW BOARDS ADDED: * ASUS Chromebook C201 (ARM laptop) (thanks to
> Paul Kocialkowski) * Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L motherboard (desktop)
> (thanks to Damien Zammit) * Intel D510MO motherboard (desktop)
> (thanks to Damien Zammit) * ASUS KCMA-D8 motherboard (desktop)
> (thanks to Timothy Pearson) * ASUS KFSN4-DRE motherboard (server)
> (thanks to Timothy Pearson) * ASUS KGPE-D16 motherboard (server)
> (thanks to Timothy Pearson) For details development history on
> these boards, refer to the git log and documentation.
>
> For boards previously supported, many fixes from upstream have
> been merged.
>
> Other changes (compared to libreboot 20150518), for libreboot in
> general or for previously supported systems: (this is a summary.
> For more detailed change list, refer to the git log)
>
> 256MiB VRAM allocated on GM45 (X200, T400, T500, R400) instead of
> 32MiB. This is an improvement over both Lenovo BIOS and Libreboot
> 20150518, allowing video decoding at 1080p to be smoother. (thanks
> Arthur Heymans) To clarify, GM45 video performance in libreboot
> 20160818 is better than on the original BIOS and the previous
> libreboot release.
>
> 64MiB VRAM on i945 (X60, T60, MacBook2,1) now supported in
> coreboot-libre, and used by default (in the previous release, it
> was 8MiB allocated). Thanks to Arthur Heymans.
>
> Higher battery life on GM45 (X200, T400, T500, R400) due to higher
> cstates now being supported (thanks Arthur Heymans). C4 power
> states also supported.
>
> Higher battery life on i945 (X60, T60, MacBook2,1) due to better
> CPU C-state settings. (Deep C4, Dynamicl L2 shrinking, C2E).
>
> Text mode on GM45 (X200, T400, T500, R400) now works, making it
> possible to use MemTest86+ comfortably. (thanks to Nick High from
> coreboot)
>
> Dual channel LVDS displays on GM45 (T400, T500) are now
> automatically detected in coreboot-libre. (thanks Vladimir
> Serbinenko from coreboot)
>
> Partial fix in coreboot-libre for GRUB display on GM45, for dual
> channel LVDS higher resolution LCD panels (T400, T500). (thanks
> Arthur Heymans)
>
> Massively improved GRUB configuration, making it easier to boot
> more encrypted systems automatically, and generally a more useful
> menu for booting the system (thanks go to Klemens Nanni of the
> autoboot project). Libreboot now uses the grub.cfg provided by the
>  installed GNU/Linux distribution automatically, if present,
> switching to that configuration. This is done across many
> partitions, where libreboot actively searches for a configuration
> file (also on LVM volumes and encrypted volumes). This should make
> libreboot more easy to use for non-technical users, without having
> [...]

- --
Logan Streondj,
A dream of Gaia's future.
blog: http://joyfullifestyle.ca
twitter: https://twitter.com/streondj

Speakable Programming for Every Language:
github: https://github.com/elspru/spel
intro: http://wyn.bot.nu/spel/src/vocab/gen/start.html

You can use encrypted email with me,
how to: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/
key fingerprint:
BD7E 6E2A E625 6D47 F7ED 30EC 86D8 FC7C FAD7 2729