[coreboot] How is CONFIG_TPM selected?

Julius Werner jwerner at chromium.org
Tue Aug 16 00:54:49 CEST 2016

I think the answer is that CONFIG_TPM doesn't do anything by itself
(it just compiles extra libraries that offer functions to access
TPMs), so there's no point in selecting it directly from menuconfig.
Any feature that uses the TPM (like CONFIG_VBOOT) should have its own
Kconfig option that you select through menuconfig and which just has a
'select TPM' clause to pull in those libraries. (Looks like that's
currently not quite configured right, and the 'select TPM' is in
CONFIG_CHROMEOS instead of CONFIG_VBOOT... I'll upload a fix for
that.)

So if you're adding anything new that wants to use tlcl functions, you
should give it its own Kconfig option that does 'select TPM'. If you
have a good reason why a mainboard needs to do (non-optional) TPM
accesses from its board code, you could also just add 'select TPM' to
BOARD_SPECIFIC_OPTIONS.