[coreboot] Building with SeaBIOS and serial debugging

Dylan Staley staley.dylan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 05:44:05 CEST 2016

I've been attempting to get coreboot running on my Lenovo ThinkPad x230 (a
supported mainboard). From the serial output I'm currently getting, it
looks like coreboot is getting to the part where it loads the payload (in
my case SeaBIOS), but I guess SeaBIOS isn't configured to output debug
information to the serial output. This is my console output:
https://gist.github.com/dstaley/73ad18b9a73eb60e5fb100972a690ef1 and my
.config file
https://gist.github.com/dstaley/cf2d9b2955bcfb9052b33f1b981efeb4

>From reading the Makefile in payloads/external/SeaBIOS,
both CONFIG_CONSOLE_SERIAL and CONFIG_DRIVERS_UART_8250IO need to be set.
However, I can't seem to find which config file I need to modify to
properly set these variables. Additionally, CONFIG_TTYS0_BASE needs to be
set as well.

I've also attempted to manually build SeaBIOS with serial output enabled,
but that didn't seem to have any impact on the result.

So, in short, how do I configure coreboot in such a way so that SeaBIOS is
properly set to output debug information to the serial console (in this
case via a FTDI FT232H USB cable)?