[coreboot] Coreboot on ARM

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 14:04:26 CEST 2016

Hello Yessine,

What I know about MLO is the following (worked on smart phones - TI OMAP4
(namely OMAP 4430) for a year in Y2010/Y2011). Here it is:
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Boot_Sequence
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27012822/how-mlo-minimal-bootloader-works

My best understanding is that x-loader (MLO) is nothing more then
minimalistic bootloader, derived from u-boot. In my time it was around 35KB
of size, but I see that it grew with the time (over 64KB). It's main task
is to specifically configure certain SoC I/O pins. AAs I remembered, at the
time it needed to also configure SoC's DRAM (the last SoC's layer), since
u-boot requires at least 256KB. Also, the security is added to MLO, so it
must be signed (this came as a feature in Y2011).

Zoran