[coreboot] coreinfo "General Protection Fault Exception"

Maxime de Roucy maxime.deroucy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 22:17:57 CET 2015

Le vendredi 11 septembre 2015 à 22:20 +0200, Paul Menzel a écrit :
> does that also happen, when using the same payloads files with QEMU?
> If yes, maybe it can be better debugged there.

I rebuild coreboot with a qemu target and debug enabled.
I also rebuild coreinfo with "-g" added to the CFLAGS.

The problème appear 3~4 seconds after coreinfo is launched.
Before I even do anything… (I didn't press ESC).

I rebuild coreinfo and sgabios in a full 32 bits environnement but that
doesn't change anything.

I tried to debug the problem on gdb.
It appear on the second launch of getch but I didn't figured where
exactly.

I upload the rom and elf.debug (and sources) of coreinfo on my server
if someone want to take a look :
http://ftp.craoc.fr/coreboot-debug/

To launch it :
1$ qemu-system-i386 -M q35 -bios coreboot.rom -hda /dev/zero -nographic -s -S

2$ gdb --tui
(gdb) target remote localhost:1234
(gdb) file ../payloads/coreinfo/build/coreinfo.elf.debug
(gdb) b main
(gdb) c
[gdb will stop here but it's wrong, you have to continu]
(gdb) c

in qemu press "ESC" and select "4 payload[coreinfo]".
gdb should stop at the begining of the main function of coreinfo.