[coreboot] unbricking an Acer CB5

Holger Brunn opensource at holgerbrunn.net
Sun Sep 6 16:52:44 CET 2015

Dear readers,

I played with compiling my own coreboot image for my Acer CB5 [1] and failed
miserably - the bios is messed up and the device won't boot any more. Now I'm
busy following some guides to undo the damage [2], [3] by flashing the
original bios again, but given I'm quite clueless about hardware, I'd like to
ask you for advice about how to proceed:

I ordered a Raspberry PI, some connector cables [4], and then I probably need
a clip to connect the chip [5].

My question to you is how to locate the chip? The mainboard looks like that:
http://opensource.holgerbrunn.net/debian-on-acer-cb5/images/DSC01629.JPG and
the only chip that looks like those in the examples is U37 in the lower right.
Is there any way to know beforehand if it's the correct one? And then when
connecting the pins, can I look up somewhere what the correct assignment is or
is this trial and error? I can't read what is printed on it, but if relevant,
I'll get a magnifying glass to post the text.

Thank you a lot in advance, and be sure that I won't come back whining if
anything goes wrong and I fry the chip following your advice - that's entirely
my fault then.

I'll log the process on the above website if successful so that the next
person messing this up won't have to bother you.

Regards,
Holger

Links:
[1] https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/acer-cb5-311-chromebook-13