[coreboot] Proposal: Removing obsolete & EOL boards and chipsets for 4.2 release

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Oct 28 15:00:08 CET 2015

Patrick Georgi wrote:
> branches are where commits are pushed to die.

Yes, this is a very important point, and is why I don't support Alex'
proposal of moving some things to live only on a branch, and not on master.

Branches *can* work really well, but only when there is a person
and/or team actively maintaining that branch, and for that to work
well, the branch needs to have a fairly clear policy. The best
example of this is the Linux kernel.

We don't have the manpower of the Linux kernel however. And I don't
that you're volunteering to maintain the branch, Alex?

I'd like to propose that without a designated maintainer stepping up
we don't create branches other than per the release process that
we're starting to get into.

The AGESA code and older FSP and the other things you list are yes
older and less shiny than the new native code, but also more proven.

It's not a good idea to sweep older code under a branchy carpet until
newer code is generally felt to be equal or better. I don't think
that's the case yet, it's just too early.

//Peter