[coreboot] Proposal: Removing obsolete & EOL boards and chipsets for 4.2 release

Vladimir quickcracktime at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 21:10:31 CET 2015

It would be really wrong to remove the whole AGESA code: there are
AMD-based products which are still very alive and actively sold (at the
developing markets) Moving the support for these products to a separate
coreboot branch, could create many inconveniences for those AMD product
owners who would like to test & use the latest and greatest coreboot build:
they will have to backport all the commits of code that's used by all the
boards, to that separate abandoned branch - which would cause a lot of
hassle and would basically cut them off from the development

I agree that removing could be done to some 2009 VIA-based EOL boards that
nobody cares about, but it would be a mistake to do that to all the AMD
products, some of which are still produced to this date and used together
with coreboot by lots of people from this mailing list

Also, that action will send a bad signal to AMD. AMD is actively supporting
the coreboot project and is much more friendly to open source community
than Intel with it's ME and creepy lock-it-all desires. Removing AGESA code
would be an equivalent of telling "we don't need your code" to AMD, one of
the largest coreboot supporters, and that could lead to a terrible
consequences