[coreboot] Proposal: Removing obsolete & EOL boards and chipsets for 4.2 release

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Tue Oct 27 20:35:27 CET 2015

This all sounds fine from a developer's perspective, but what about AMD's
customers? I honestly have no clue if the decision to use an AMD product
with coreboot hinges on whether AMD's supplied AGESA code is used or not.
But I can imagine ripping out the AMD-supplied code might make it difficult
for AMD to support customers who use coreboot.

I'm sure there are people on this list who _have actually supported
customers_ using AMD products and coreboot, so I'd like to hear their
perspective.

/my $0.02.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:20 PM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> The AGESA code was always an awkward fit into coreboot. It was more like a
> badly designed artificial limb than a real part of the code base. I
> understand the idea of encouraging vendors to commit source but, at this
> point, the AMD ship has sailed off to Port Binary Blob. AGESA was helpful
> in its time but I think I'm with tpearson on this point.
>
> I believe we should drop AGESA on any boards that have native support, and
> the sooner the better.
>
> ron
>
> --

David Hendricks (dhendrix)