[coreboot] Proposal: Removing obsolete & EOL boards and chipsets for 4.2 release

Martin Roth gaumless at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 22:51:21 CET 2015

I'd like to start a discussion about boards, chipsets, drivers, or
other code that can be removed from the tree.

At the coreboot conference in Bonn, we discussed this some. I believe
that we decided to wait until the next release/branch of the coreboot
tree before removing anything.  By planning ahead and deleting the
components immediately after the release, we can list the things that
have been end-of-lifed in the branch release notes.

By discussing this on the mailing list instead of just pushing commits
to the tree, we can get better buy in from all interested parties.

I'd request that these be boards & chips that are no longer being
produced, and haven't been updated in a few years.

These seem like good candidates to start the discussion:
   mainboard/via/epia-m700 - http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/7470
   northbridge/via/vx800 - http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/7471

As far as I can tell, the last real contributions to these came in
2009 - all the changes since then have been cleanup and modifications
for other changes across the coreboot tree.

What other directories should be removed from the tree after the next release?

Eventually it would be nice to be able to use submissions to
board-status repo to determine what's being used.  We're just not at
that point yet.