[coreboot] SPD binaries in coreboot

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Oct 23 21:43:04 CEST 2015

On 23.10.2015 21:15, Martin Roth wrote:
> I like what I understand Nico's proposal to be: Store the SPD data as
> a c struct with all of the different JEDEC fields broken out.  it
> would relatively trivial to compile this into an SPD binary, or it can
> be used in whatever other fashion is desired.  A tool to convert from
> a binary SPD to the structure file would be desirable to help the
> transition, but it's out of the build path.
>
> I believe this satisfies all the requirements:
> - It's easy to review differences.
> - It can be be built with no new tools.
> - The fields are broken out, so you can actually tell what you're doing.

Now that would be a nice way to combine the benefits of diffable source
and no-tool builds.

Ron, is that solution is acceptable to you?

Side note: There is a tool called decode-dimms which can be fed with
binary SPD dumps. It decodes everything in the SPD and could serve as a
nice way to verify the output of Ron's magic SPD tool.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel