[coreboot] SPD binaries in coreboot

Aaron Durbin adurbin at google.com
Fri Oct 23 18:25:45 CEST 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> Patrick Georgi wrote:
>> > Code and data in mainboard directories for components which are not
>> > the mainboard.
>> In this case, they _are_ "the mainboard" just like magic numbers for
>> USB trace lengths are.
>> That stuff describes soldered-on components, it can't be more
>> "mainboard" than that.
>
> RAM is just as much the mainboard as the CPU/SOC is. (Not at all.)
> We have cpu and soc directories for good reason.

The only reason cpu/soc are in separate directories is because there
is a many to one relationship w.r.t. mainboards and said components.
I'm guessing you are thinking these are the same as well? So it's
duplication of Makefile recipes and potential duplication of SPD data?

The ordering of how the spds are built is very much a property of the
mainboard because different stuffing options have memory config GPIOs
set differently in order to know what memory was actually stuffed on
the board.