[coreboot] SPD binaries in coreboot

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Oct 23 17:48:05 CEST 2015

Aaron Durbin wrote:
> > I guess JEDEC does have a structured format. Maybe it's XML or JSON. :)
>
> I don't believe JEDEC has a format. And the one thing missing here is
> that there is no standard way of distributing these files. In fact,
> I've mainly seen spreadsheets as a form of distribution from the
> memory manufacturers.

Nod, then we would be creating the format.

> The issue is that spds are for dimms while soldered down dram aren't
> dimms. The spds provide the illusion of an actual dimm to the memory
> training code which needs specific values. And because of this those
> files need to be edited at times because of errors.

Right, "accidental review" as these data sets pass by humans in the
review process is a good reason for a text-based format. Editing,
well, whether I edit a hex dump or use hexedit to edit a binary
really doesn't make a big difference - in which case I strongly
favor requiring developers who make edits to have more tooling,
over requiring new tooling at build time.

> FWIW, LPDDR has the ability to be queried on the command bus so
> these constructs should go away over time.

Old boards stay in the tree.

> > Fixing structure is more important IMO and shouldn't need to block on that.
>
> What's the specific structural gripe you have? The snippet of
> duplicated Makefile code?

Code and data in mainboard directories for components which are not
the mainboard.

//Peter