[coreboot] GPL license headers

Alex G. mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 05:20:38 CEST 2015

On 10/22/2015 11:00 AM, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> From my previous discussions with lawyers on the topic, the third
> paragraph is unproblematic to remove.

> With resolutions of today's monitors

And if you're running a 4k screen, do you really want $100 of
real-estate being occupied by boilerplate? (Those monitors aren't cheap)

> and keyboards often having a page down key,

My macbookpro doesn't have a PgDn key.

> keeping the second
> paragraph seems like a good compromise to stay friends with the legal
> experts and err on the safe side.

(Realistic) sarcasm aside, I am sensitive to the legal concerns, and I
do agree with Patrick's concern that we should do our due diligence to
make sure we don't break lawyer's tools. That being said, I think we can
all agree that taking 'licensecheck' as the lowest common denominator is
not unreasonable.

Considering that this lowest common denominator has no issues
identifying the terms with just the first paragraph, a human being
should have no problem with this. I think it's worth the extra effort to
simplify the headers, and ultimately focus on coding, not boilerplating.
I'd also like to see a short (one to three lines) description of _what_
a file does above the license headers.

Alex