[coreboot] Trying to flash coreboot onto on-board SPI chip of HP Envy H87 haswell chipset.

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Tue Oct 20 23:05:16 CEST 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Arpita Biswas <arpita.biswas07 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to update BIOS with coreboot onto HP Envy H87 haswell chipset
> (ipm87_mp)
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6392VN4810>. I am
> using Dediprog + SOIC 8-pin flash clip for flashing the SPI chip (W25Q64).
> However dediprog doesn't detect the chip when it's soldered on-board. On
> removing the chip from board, I can detect/read/write onto it without any
> issues.
>
> I've tried (and failed) with the following configurations :
> (1) SPI pin ------> Dediprog : /CS ---> CS, DO (IO1) ---> MISO, /WP (IO2)
> ---> 3.3V, GND ---> GND, DI (IO0) ---> MOSI, CLK ---> CLK, /HOLD (IO3) --->
> 3.3V, VCC ---> 3.3V with motherboard power ON.
>
> (2) Same config as above but I tried to isolate the chip by removing CMOS
> battery + removing jumper on SPI header + powering OFF the motherboard.
>
> (3) Similar as (1) and (2), but let /HOLD, /Vcc and /WP float.
>
> (4) I tried using flashrom on the box too as internal programmer, but it
> did not recognize the SPI chip. Error log says "Found Programmer flash chip
> "Opaque flash chip" (8192 kB, Programmer-specific)."
>
> I've a feeling that something on the motherboard is interfering with the
> SPI chip since an off-board chip is working fine. Does anybody have any
> pointers on what could be going wrong ?

I suspect your motherboard does not isolate the SPI ROM's voltage supply
and thus your Dediprog is effectively powering other components on the
board.

If you can find a way to hold the PCH and ME in reset while the board is
powered on, that might work. Or, with the board off, you can try using an
external power supply (the usual warnings about possibly frying your board
apply).

> Thanks in advance,
> - Arpita
>
> --