[coreboot] RFC: draft policy for accepting blob contributions to 3rdparty/blobs

Patrick Georgi pgeorgi at google.com
Sun Oct 11 17:35:50 CEST 2015

Hi all,

on the coreboot conference, we discussed a draft of a policy for
inclusion of binaries into the 3rdparty/blobs repository.

If binaries are required, we want them redistributable in
3rdparty/blobs to make users' lives easier, and make it possible to
deal with them as good as it is possible with binaries.
Having clear rules should also make it easier for the developers at
vendors who try to maintain these binaries - no more back-and-forth on
gerrit that some more documentation is necessary and so on.
Other rules are simply necessary (eg. a license allowing
redistribution) for practical reasons.

This doesn't mean we encourage the use of binaries, and to use them,
because they still need to be integrated through code in the coreboot
repository.

The current draft can be found at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wMdDUAZR2Z9V7hcs3IhIOqw6sYQxb3vPEmbITTCrOwU/edit,
and is open for comments.

The idea is to instate this policy (or something like this) once we
found agreement. We can still revise the policy over time.

Patrick
--
Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg