[coreboot] Long boot delay with a large CBFS

Patrick Georgi pgeorgi at google.com
Mon Nov 16 19:54:38 CET 2015

> What is the purpose behind continuing if a bad entry is encountered?
> It appears that a 'bad' entry only occurs at the end of the CBFS.
With a properly chained CBFS, there are no such entries (except one at
the end, maybe), and large empty regions are simply skipped because
there's an empty file entry.

Since we're in firmware with few recovery options, we don't want the
computer to die with a black screen if all that happened may be some
minor corruption in a data structure, and so we do a best-effort
recovery by trying to find a new entry point into the chain. The
theory being that it can't get worse.

Patrick
--
Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg