[coreboot] [RFC] Time until patches should be submitted (was: Document for review: coreboot Gerrit Etiquette and Guidelines)

Martin Roth gaumless at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 17:07:04 CET 2015

As others have stated, my concern is the tradeoff between long and
short times.  Too short a time, and people don't getting the chance to
review patches.  Too long a time and it delays development, frustrates
developers, and requires rebasing the patch, maybe requiring MORE
review.

Alternate thoughts or proposals:
- "Note that some contributors prefer to work on coreboot during
business hours, so consider leaving patches up longer than 24 hours
during weekends and holidays"
This of course presents other issues of dealing with holidays in
various countries, time zones, etc.

- Trivial patches (Whitespace, spelling, and the like) can be
submitted with no delay. Non-trivial commits touching fewer than 20
lines of code should be submitted no sooner than 24 hours after the
last major change.  Changes larger than that 20 lines should wait at
least 48? 72? hours after the last major change.

Paul also mentioned that a method of getting non-trivial patches in
quickly should be addressed as well.  This should not be a regular
occurrence, but sometimes we need or desire to push a patch quickly.
He suggested 2 +2s and a statement to the mailing list. To me, this
defeats the purpose of quick.

Yesterday tpearson requested on IRC that we get a patch in quickly.
It was, in my opinion significant, although just a single line change,
which made it easy to understand and review.  We got 3 +2s on it in
just a few minutes.  I thought that was a good barrier and would like
to propose that as the rule:  If you can get 3 +2s, knowing that it's
going to be submitted immediately, it can be submitted.  If this gets
abused, it can be reviewed and changed at some point in the future.

Martin