[coreboot] setting up a bug tracker

Martin Roth gaumless at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 16:57:35 CET 2015

I'm good with redmine, and if Lynxis is going to be the administrator,
I think it's reasonable that he should be able to decide in what he's
going to be working on.

I had done some looking and thinking about before Lynxis offered to
set up redmine, so I'll still present those items.

These were my questions about what the community wanted from a bug tracker:
- Is git integration needed or desired? (It might be nice, but I
didn't think it was needed)
- How about IRC integration? (I'd say no, but i wanted to put it out there)
- Any requirements on the language that the tracker is written in?
Python, Perl, Php, and Ruby seem to be the choices.
- Are there any required login methods? Does it need to support the
login types that review.coreboot.org supports?
- Is (anonymous) public reporting desired, or do we want to require
sign-in and user validation first? (I'd vote for sign in)

These were the results of looking through all of the various defect
trackers - mostly from wikipedia's page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_issue-tracking_systems

System          Git    License     Language   demo or example
Bugzilla        Yes    MPL         Perl       https://landfill.bugzilla.org/
Flyspray        No?    LGPL 2.1    PHP        https://bugs.flyspray.org/
MantisBT        Yes    GPL         PHP
https://www.mantisbt.org/bugs/my_view_page.php
Redmine         Yes    GPLv2       Ruby       http://demo.redmine.org/
Roundup         No     MIT         Python     http://issues.roundup-tracker.org/
The Bug Genie   Yes    Mozilla     PHP
http://www.opensourcecms.com/scripts/details.php?scriptid=307&name=The%2520Bug%2520Genie

I did like the looks of Flyspray - It seems pretty light weight - as
opposed to bugzilla, which seems overly large for what we need.
MantisBT and Redmine were the others that I though looked interesting.
Roundup and The Bug Genie didn't particularly appeal to me, but they
seemed fit the criteria.
Trac and Apache Bloodhound were also initially on my list, but I
removed them due to Patrick's comments.

Martin