[coreboot] A case for branching AGESA

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Nov 2 23:14:15 CET 2015

Alex G. wrote:
> >> users of AGESA can continue to contribute and work on the codebase.
> > ... and diverge...
>
> And that's expected. Convergence is a dream.

I disagree. I think it's a goal rather than a dream.

> AGESA boards use BuildOpts for configuration, and not much
> Kconfig/devicetree.cb

I've done a bit of work on moving BuildOpts config for IDS into Kconfig,
but it's not quite ready yet. I wrote the change dry and the only
test data I have available reports coreboot not working after
applying it. :) Sometime..

> SPD parsing routines. I can go on and on.
> non-divergence is a moot point.

I disagree - I think we need to work towards less divergence rather
than move in a direction which is likely to create more divergence.

That's the only way to keep the codebase maintainable - which we all
want. It was clear to me already when we saw the very first code from
AMD that integration into our own codebase would take a while.

I don't want to remove contributed code until we've given that a real shot.

//Peter