[coreboot] 'power on after fail' on Panther (Haswell/Lynxpoint)

Duncan Laurie dlaurie at chromium.org
Thu Mar 26 15:49:19 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 11:35 PM, Matt DeVillier <matt.devillier at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Greetings all!
>
> I was wondering if it's possible to have Panther (Asus ChromeBox -
> Haswell/Lynxpoint) power on when AC power connected regardless of the
> previous power state.  Currently, the box will power on if AC power is lost
> and the device was powered on, but not if powered off.  I have a use case
> where it would be convenient to be able to power on the boxes by toggling
> AC power (eg, the boxes are not within physical reach).  I modified the
> CMOS default setting for 'power_on_after_fail' to be enabled and verified
> its status with nvramtool.  I also tried modifying lpc.c/smihandler.c in
> the southbridge code to force MAINBOARD_POWER_ON (rather than
> MAINBOARD_POWER_KEEP) in all cases, to no avail.
>
> Am I approaching this from the wrong angle, or is it perhaps not possible
> with these boxes?

This might be due to the SuperIO instead of the Southbridge.  Panther does
call it8772f_ac_resume_southbridge() which *should* be making the
southbridge the one responsible for the power behavior when AC is applied,
but as a first test you could try removing that call to see if the default
SuperIO behavior is closer to what you want.

-duncan