[coreboot] VGA doesn't work on Mohon Peak

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 00:58:54 CET 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 4:18 PM Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:

> Just to be clear, it's fine to try initializing the video card in
> SeaBIOS, it's fine to try initializing the video card in coreboot, and
> it's fine to try and hold off initialization until Linux starts.  But,
> definitely don't try booting with two or more points trying to
> initialize the video hardware - that's known to cause problems.

This is great advice and probably true for most hardware most of the time.
But I have seen hardware (as part of debugging) that can cope with multiple
init passes. For example, on many new intel parts, the VBIOS runs, and then
sometimes X11 decides to run it again. Or, you modprobe -r and when you
modprobe again, it it will do the hardware init again. Or x11 decides to
run the init again for other reasons. Or the kernel modules does. Or Ron
does as part of FUI testing.

So I think kevin is making a very good point but as always, with hardware,
the rules can be broken :-)
ron