[coreboot] GCC update broke AMD Fam10h boot

Timothy Pearson tpearson at raptorengineeringinc.com
Mon Mar 16 19:39:04 CET 2015

On 03/16/2015 09:23 AM, Aaron Durbin wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Timothy Pearson
> <tpearson at raptorengineeringinc.com>  wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Just a heads up as there is no bugtracker for this project.  GIT commit
>> 53c388fe, which updates the crossgcc GCC version from 4.8.3 to 4.9.2, breaks
>> ramstage on AMD Fam10h systems (ramstage loads, sends its 0x39 POST code,
>> but then goes into an infinite loop).  Downgrading the GCC version repairs
>> the boot failure.
>>
>> Not sure if you want to revert that commit until someone can figure out what
>> changed to cause the problem.
>
> Could post ramstage.elf from the two different builds somewhere? I'd
> like to take a peak at what is in there.

Sure:
https://raptorengineeringinc.com/coreboot/built.tar.bz2

Other oddities:
GCC 4.8.3:
normal/romstage                0x7ff80    stage        97345
normal/ramstage                0x97c40    stage        154869

GCC 4.9.2:
normal/romstage                0x7ff80    stage        94773
normal/ramstage                0x97240    stage        173942

Note in particular, judging from the file sizes, that something seems to
have been relocated from romstage to ramstage by the new gcc version.

--
Timothy Pearson
Raptor Engineering