[coreboot] questions about google/samus

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 13 08:42:20 CET 2015

Am Freitag, den 13.03.2015, 00:05 -0500 schrieb Alexandru Gagniuc:
> On Friday, March 13, 2015 12:42:38 AM ron minnich wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 3:48 PM Paul Menzel wrote:
> > > As this is an Intel device [1] and I am waiting for an AMD based laptop,
> > > I’d say no. ;-)
> >
> > I'm not sure AMD improves the situation much any more, and in some ways a
> > non-chromeos laptop has lots of other problems. On your AMD laptop, the EC
> > will be a binary blob. If you're not worried about that, you should be.

It depends on how the EC is wired up and what parts of the system it has
access to, doesn’t it?

> Sadly, I don't think AMD understands what a Chromebook is.

Sadly, I don’t think Google has understood how much power they have over
Intel with their Chromebook and Chromebox success. RAM initialization is
for example still a BLOB and, instead of getting Intel to publish it,
the firmware support package (FSP) will now be used for the Intel
devices.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/258220