[coreboot] Bare metal hello world rs232 payload

Adam Duncan adam.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 19:37:53 CET 2015

Thanks Marc,

Can I use libpayload to make a payload for a 64 bit ROM? I'm following the
coreboot minnowboard max 64bit instructions below and substituting the
default payload for the payloadlib sample hello world payload.

http://elinux.org/Minnowboard:MinnowMaxCoreboot

Also, is there a lower level method than using payloadlib to make a simple
coreboot payload elf that just initializes rs232 and prints a string over
rs232?

Any good low level documentation you would recommend for understanding how
a payload needs to initialize rs232 and prints a string?

Thanks again!
Adam
 Hi Adam

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 5:46 AM Adam Duncan <adam.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all. I am new to coreboot and just built a default coreboot+seabios ROM
> and ran it on a 64bit minnowboard max. Now I'd like to build a simple hello
> world payload elf that would simply print a string on rs232.
>
> Can you recommend the best approach to do this? I was looking at using
> libpayload but read in the README that it creates 32 bit elfs.

Libpayload is exactly what you want to use to make a simple hello world.
The processor is in 32bit mode and can run 32bit code, if that is your
concern.

Regards,
Marc