[coreboot] [GSoC-2015] Interested in Participating - Discussing Ideas

Varad Gautam varadgautam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 16:43:09 CET 2015

Hi,

I would like to participate in Google Summer of Code 2015 with coreboot to
work on one of the following ideas:

- Enable coreboot + Tianocore over an ARM board: The Ideas page mentions
something similar [1], but I think the hardware details are to be finalized. I
worked on adding BeagleBone Black support to Tianocore during GSoC-2014 with
Linaro, and so have some experience with JTAG, ARM bringup and bootloaders.
Which mainboard would be the intended target? I have a HiKey board (HiSilicon
Kirin 6220 Cortex-A53 ARM64) [2] which could be used - I'm checking if
coreboot already supports a similar SoC to base the port on.

- Eliminate Video BIOS requirement for AMD/ATI graphics init: I understand
this would involve dumping AtomBIOS ROM and performing those initializations
under coreboot. I came across atomdis [3] and am looking for a Video BIOS ROM
I could try disassembling. I need some input on how I could go about the
implementation of this idea - what hardware would be suitable / what the boot
flow would be. Although I haven't worked with the Linux graphics stack yet, I
would like to get my hands dirty. I am currently looking through the resources
at [4].

I recently tried running coreboot + SeaBIOS + SYSLINUX under QEMU (as
suggested on the Easy tasks page [5]), and it seems to work alright - but is
it possible to find a SYSLINUX ELF image so I can eliminate SeaBIOS?

I would be glad to have your suggestions on how I could get started.

[1] http://www.coreboot.org/Project_Ideas#coreboot_ARM_SoC.27s_mainboard_port
[2] https://www.96boards.org/products/hikey/
[3]
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_atombios_dumper&num=1