[coreboot] [flashrom] New flashrom logo - please vote!

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Mar 3 00:50:08 CET 2015

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 09:03:59 -0800
Vadim Bendebury <vbendeb at chromium.org> wrote:

> Not that I care much, but I can't help it: this new symbol looks very
> much like the infamous SS Bolts:
> http://www.adl.org/combating-hate/hate-on-display/c/ss-bolts.html#.VPSXeFX3-iw

Yes, it could be mistaken for a sig rune although it clearly differs
(the rune is not formed as an arrow on the bottom but is symmetric). I
would not use two of this or similar symbols side by side because it
could easily be seen as a political statement I definitely don't want
to make. But on the other hand there are a lot of other (admittedly
less known) runes and symbols used by the SS or other Nazi
organizations that we use on a daily basis probably without even
knowing it... (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_insignia_of_the_Schutzstaffel#mediaviewer/File:Tiwaz_rune.svg)

So thanks for bringing this up - it is a valid concern - but I draw the
line not to cross elsewhere.