[coreboot] CBFS files located outside itself error

Tyler Parks tparks5 at mail.csuchico.edu
Sat Jun 20 05:58:35 CEST 2015

I'm using Fedora 20 x86_64, along with freshly pulled Coreboot source,
and trying to compile Coreboot for QEMU. However I get a make error that
says CBFS files located outside itself. I haven't been able to find any
information on what this means, or how to fix it; I'd appreciate any hints.

The actual make error looks like this:

    HOSTCC     cbfstool/lzma.o
    HOSTCC     cbfstool/LzFind.o
    HOSTCC     cbfstool/LzmaDec.o
    HOSTCC     cbfstool/LzmaEnc.o
    HOSTCC     cbfstool/linux_trampoline.o
    HOSTCC     cbfstool/cbfs-payload-linux.o
    HOSTCC     cbfstool/cbfstool (link)
E: CBFS file entries are located outside CBFS itself
make: *** [build/coreboot.pre1] Error 1

In the menuconfig, I set up configuration for QEMU like this (other
options left as defaults):

General:
Enable ccache to speed up (re)compiling

Mainboard:
vendor = emulation
model = QEMU x86 i440fx/piix4 (aka qemu -M pc)
rom = 256kB

Devices:
add VGA BIOS: vgabios-cirrus.bin (I copied qemu's vgabios into the
coreboot directory)

Console:
use onboard VGA as primary video device

Payload:
SeaBIOS master
use LZMA compression

I don't know if it's related, but when I ran make crossgcc prior to
building, it compiled the i386, x86_64, and armv7 tool chains, but
failed building binutils for aarch64. I only intend to build for 32bit
and 64bit x86, so I ignored the aarch64 error:

Building BINUTILS 2.25 ... failed. Check
build-aarch64-elf-BINUTILS/build.log.
make[1]: *** [build-aarch64-without-gdb] Error 1
make: *** [crossgcc-aarch64] Error 2

greping the aarch64 build.log file for Error outputs:

./build.log:make[1]: *** [configure-libiberty] Error 1
./build.log:make: *** [all] Error 2
./build.log:make[1]: *** [install-bfd] Error 2
./build.log:make: *** [install] Error 2