[coreboot] coreboot conference in Europe, October 2015

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Jul 30 14:01:02 CEST 2015

Dear coreboot developers, users and interested parties,

we are currently trying to organize a coreboot conference and developer
meeting in October 2015 in Germany.

This is not intended to be a pure developer meeting, we also hope to
reach out to manufacturers of processors, chipsets, mainboards and
servers/laptops/tablets/desktops with an interest in coreboot and the
possibilities it offers.

My plan (which is not final yet) is to have the Federal Office for
Information Security (BSI) in Germany host the conference in Bonn,
Germany. As a national cyber security authority, the goal of the BSI is
to promote IT security in Germany. For this reason, the BSI has funded
coreboot development in the past for security reasons.

The preliminary plans are to coordinate the exact date of the conference
to be before or after Embedded Linux Conference Europe, scheduled for
October 5-7 in Dublin, Ireland. Planned duration is 3-4 days. This means
we can either use the time window from Thursday Oct 1 to Sunday Oct 4,
or from Thursday Oct 8 to Monday Oct 12. The former has the advantage of
having cheaper hotel rooms available in Bonn, while the latter has the
advantage of avoiding Oct 3, a national holiday in Germany (all shops
closed).

ATTENTION vendors/manufacturers: If your main interest is forging
business relationships and/or strategic coordination and you want to
skip the technical workshops and soldering, we'll try make sure there is
one outreach day of talks, presentations and discussions on a regular
business day. Please indicate that with "(strategic)" next to your name
in the doodle linked below.

If you wonder about how to reach Bonn, there are three options available
by plane:
The closest is Cologne Airport (CGN), 30 minutes by bus to Bonn main
station.
Next is Düsseldorf Airport (DUS), 1 hour by train to Bonn main station.
The airport with most international destinations is Frankfurt Airport
(FRA), 2.5 hours by train to Bonn main station.
There's the option to travel by train as well. Bonn is reachable by
high-speed train (ICE), and other high-speed train stations are
reasonably close (30 minutes).

What I'm looking for right now is a rough show of hands who'd like to
attend so I can book a conference venue. I'd also like feedback on which
weekend would be preferable for you. If you have any questions, please
feel free to ask me directly <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> or our