[coreboot] T400 screen issue / EDID handling

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 14 07:55:19 CEST 2015

Dear Kroms,

Am Montag, den 13.07.2015, 09:43 +0200 schrieb kroms at posteo.be:

[…]

> > There are two more things two do.
> >
> > 1. Contact the Linux i915 folks and ask them, if the module is able
> > to detect the configuration itself and does not rely on the
> > firmware or if there is a way to override that setting from the
> > Linux command line.
>
> Who is going to do this? Is this [1] the right community? I am not
> sure, if I am able to explain it right.
> If you want me to do this, what do you mean exactly with "the
> module", is it "i915"?

Yes i915 and it’d be great if you could do it.

At least the second question should be answered. Looking at
`/sbin/modinfo i915` it shows that there is such an option already.

    parm:           lvds_channel_mode:Specify LVDS channel mode (0=probe BIOS [default], 1=single-channel, 2=dual-channel) (int)

So you could add `i915.lvds_channel_mode=2`, I think, to the Linux
command line and see if Linux is able to initialize your system.

> On [2], is written:
> "Linux (kernel) has its own init code (including EDID parsing). The
> current suspicion is that coreboot's own initialization code has
> buggy EDID parsing in some way, such that the proper settings for the
> panel are not used, leading to the failure."
>
> Please tell me, if I understand it right:
> The kernel module should not rely on coreboot concerning the settings
> for the display and you want to know,
> if the kernel module is able to get the needed information direct
> from the display (EDID)? If this is possible, you want to know,
> if this is configurable with the Linux command line? Means "Linux
> command line" the same as "kernel command line"?

Yes. But I am not sure if it’s related to EDID parsing at all. coreboot
just hard codes it.

> > 2. Improve coreboot so that the LVDS link configuration is detected
> > during runtime as the vendor firmware (VGA Option ROM/Video
> > BIOS(?))
> > does.
>
> While I am learning a lot of things working on this issue, this is
> far above my skills.

No problem. Maybe somebody else will do it.

Thanks,

Paul