[coreboot] coreboot code of conduct

Marc Jones marcj303 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 04:08:38 CET 2015

On Mon Jan 19 2015 at 7:52:45 PM Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <
c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> On 19.01.2015 01:49, Marc Jones wrote:
> > On Sat Jan 17 2015 at 8:12:20 PM Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> >> Hi Marc,
> >>
> >> thanks for writing this up.

> conduct/

> >> Given that the Code of Conduct has been announced publicly in a blog
> >> post, the feedback is probably expected to be public as well. Apologies
> >> if that is not the case.
> >>
> >> The current wording suggests that anyone can be expelled from the
> >> community permanently without warning for either perceived harrassment
> >> or for strongly enforcing the code of conduct. This is probably not the
> >> intention.
> > Open discussion is acceptable.
>
> Adding that sentence to the CoC would be helpful.
>

> >> Furthermore, the second paragraph of "Unacceptable Behaviour" is either
> >> redundant or woefully incomplete. If you really think the word
> >> "harassing" from the first paragraph needs to be defined, you should
> >> define the other words from the first paragraph "intimidating",
> >> "abusive", "discriminatory", "derogatory" and "demeaning" as well. I
> >> suggest deleting that second paragraph.
> > I'll disagree. Harassment is the most common problem in online
> communities
>
> Real citation needed, not just some sentiment. For example, quite a few
> feminist blogs point to intimidating and derogatory speech/actions as
> the primary hurdles against female participation in online communities.

This was based on discussions at the GSOC summit as I mentioned in my blog
post.  Several community leaders and more experience policy makers lead the
discussion.

> > and warrants the paragraph about those unacceptable behaviors.
>
> If harassment is the most common problem, that definitely warrants
> listing harassment first (which is not the case in the current CoC).
>

> > Defining
> > every other term would not make this policy any more robust.
>
> Is the term "harassment" so unclear it warrants explanation? I thought
> there was universal agreement that harassment is bad, but having to
> define harassment implies that there is no such universal agreement (you
> can't agree on something undefined).
> I argue that creating our own homegrown definition of harassment (or
> copying someone else's homegrown definition) makes this policy less
> robust because this current homegrown definition is woefully incomplete.

Your point has been noted and we will examine how a change would improve
the policy. Thanks for your contribution.  I admit that this is not an area
we are experts in, but we tried to choose a reference policy that was
recognized a good a positive representation of our community.  Please
forward any expert recommendation or examples from other communities that
improves the coreboot community policy, interactions, increase diversity
within this community.