[coreboot] Coreboot reproducible builds

Emilian Bold emilian.bold at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 16:23:04 CET 2015

Hello,

I was trying to duplicate a coreboot build back in November and I noticed I
couldn't get my ROM file to be identical to the one I found online.

It seems that Coreboot doesn't have reproducible builds yet.

Debian has been looking into this for a while
https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds and I think Coreboot should
adopt this concept.

It seems like we are halfway there with INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE but what I've
noticed is that even if I extract the CONFIG_ values the build still needs
some manual tweaking.

Ideally we should record the tools used (crossgcc version, etc), the
coreboot git revision id, the CONFIG_ values and the build info for the
payloads (for the auto-downloaded SeaBIOS I think just the git revision id
would be enough). If the timestamps and such are cleaned we should get a
reproducible ROM.

Is there anyone willing to help me with this (or already working on this)?

--emi