[coreboot] Automated test system: Nominations wanted

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Feb 19 00:14:47 CET 2015

Hi,

I am currently planning to set up a test system with 5 (later up to 10)
machines boot testing each new coreboot commit. This test system will be
serviced (i.e. recovery from bricking) Mo-Fr during CET/CEST office hours.

Current goals for every commit:
- Check if coreboot + SeaBIOS are able to boot Linux to a point where
network is up and running

Current goals for every work day:
- Check if screen, keyboard and touchpad/mouse work
- Check if USB works and has the expected transfer speed (i.e. if USB
High and Super Speed both work)

Future goals for every work day:
- Run memtest86+ (short run)
- Run GRUB2 and boot Linux
- Check if USB works (see above)

Once any test running once per work day can be automated with reasonable
effort (i.e. not requiring robots or human interaction), it can be moved
to a per-commit goal.

The selection of target systems should include:
1. at least one x86 laptop without an active ME (present but inactive
would be OK)
2. at least one x86 laptop which can boot x86-blob-free (except microcode)
3. at least one x86 board or laptop which needs neither blobs (except
microcode) nor ME
4. at least one x86 board with reasonable (past or present) business
market penetration
5. if the first two laptops use the same CPU vendor, a board using a
different x86 CPU vendor

1+2 are designed to partially remove the potential for nasty surprises,
3 should remove nasty surprises completely, 4 is the one I need to show
that the test system is actually relevant for our goals, 5 should give
us better coverage outside the most common systems used by coreboot
developers.

Please nominate machines (e.g. "Thinkpad T60 with Intel graphics") and
tell me to which category they belong. If a system fits into multiple
categories, please specify that as well.
I will try to consolidate the recommendations and buy those machines.
Once the system is up and running (hopefully in May), I will add more
machines suggested by the community as time permits.

The time window for suggestions will close at the end of February.

Fire away!

Regards,
Carl-Daniel